Enhance Oil Recovery and Tracers Technologies
Gulf Energy has special expertise in Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) technologies that include:
- CO2 Flooding
- Chemical EOR
- Polymer EOR
- Steam Injection
Microbial Enhanced Oil Recovery treatment (MEOR)
Gulf Energy is in a co-operation with Sultan Qaboos University to develop and introduce the Microbial Enhanced Oil Recovery treatment "MEOR" in Oman. Gulf Energy also works in associated with The Energy and Resources Institute from India and Advanced Biotechnology Center from the UAE.
Ageing of wells and unproductive wells are a perpetual and crucial concern that the global oil industry faces. An oil well becomes sick when approximately 30% of oil in place has been recovered. These so-called dead or sick wells still have a substantial quantity of oil left in them. Conventional methods of recovery are extremely expensive and task challenging due to a significant change in the reservoir conditions.
The MEOR process involves injecting microbes along with nutrients into the well and closing it for approximately 20 days. The bacteria, cultured to thrive in anaerobic conditions propagate and produce polymers, gases, surfactants and organic acids. The bacteria aids in retrieving oil with a two-pronged approach, one, by bringing about a change in the physical properties of the rock, and two, in the crude itself. The surfactant, acid and solvents clean out the paraffin was and the heavy crude depositions in the pores of the rock, thus improving the porous character of the rock. The surfactant also lowers the interfacial tension between reservoir fluids and residual oil to ease the displacement of the oil. On the other hand, bacteria reach deep pores where no other medium can reach. They then act upon the oil and reduce its thickness in the reservoir and thus aid in its free flow. The gases that it produces, carbon dioxide and methane, restore the gas drive quality of the oil pushing it to the mouth of the well.
Advantages of MEOR treatment:
- Increase Oil Recovery Factor and thus life of the field is extended for years.
- Reduce production declines.
- Cost reduction on the well abandonment, as these wells can be turned to production economically.
- Increased water flooding efficiency.
- Decreased water cut, significantly improves oil production and cash flow.
- A simple operation which can be implemented on small pilot area of 5-10 wells.
- No capital expenditure required for the treatment.
- Commercially proven, fast and simple application .
- Utilizes indigenous microorganisms, environmentally friendly and no harsh chemicals or additives used.
- Results can be realized within 2-3 weeks after the treatment.